Parenting children can be difficult during phases of development and the teenage years can bring up new challenges. Teenagers often are wanting more automony and independence and they may not know how to ask for what they want.
As a parent, it is helpful to know how to implement strategies during this stage. Below you will find six important rules for parenting teenagers.
- Keep your cool. It is easy to lose your temper when your teenager is pushing every boundary.
- Don’t get into power struggles. These usually end in a lose-lose situation for you and your child.
- Give your teenager the rules and consequences prior to allowing them to explore their independence
- Let go a little. As parents, we may want to maintain all the control. During this time of development, teenagers may become defiant or rebellious when they feel they are totally restricted.
- Put on your listening ears. Your teenager is telling you more than you think. Be sure to ask open ended questions and listen without judgment.
- Remember that this is a temporarily time in their development stage so avoid making it permanent. With the proper care, love and support, you and your child will come through this.